Bursting with essential nutrients, plant-based protein, and the rich goodness of walnuts, these vegetarian meatballs are a harmonious blend of the finest fresh, organic ingredients. We've adapted our recipe from one of our walnut suppliers, Tricket's Grove, which showcased their recipe on Country Calendar in 2022. This recipe is a satisfying meal for two which can be easily scaled up to feed a group. This versatile nut mixture can also be pan fried and used as a mince substitute for vegetarian tacos or bolognaise. The possibilities are endless and scrummy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked bulgar wheat (or you could also use cous cous, rice or other grain)
- 1 large Portabello mushroom, diced
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (or fine oats)
- 1/4 cup Hohepa Vintage Danbo cheese (or parmesan)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Transfer to a food processor with remaining ingredients and pulse until combined, but not mushy.
- Form into 8 equal balls and place on greased baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Serve with pasta sauce and pasta!