Almost any vegetable can go in a soup, but at this time of year, pumpkins are in season, affordable and delicious! Our Head of Retail, Teva Stewart has shared his go-to pumpkin soup recipe below and he reckons that a good pumpkin soup can be made great with crumbled goat feta, a squeeze of lemon and wedge of Shelly Bay Baker Fugasse or focaccia!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
• 1-2 onions roughly chopped
• 1-4 garlic cloves chopped
• Thumb size piece of ginger, grated
• 1.5kg pumpkin – peeled, seeded and chopped into mid-sized cubes
• Heaped teaspoon ground cumin
• Heaped teaspoon ground coriander
• Water or chicken stock
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Garnish suggestions below
Add oil and onions to a large pot and sauté on medium heat until softened. Add ginger, garlic and spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes to release the flavours.
Add pumpkin pieces and mix well with the onions and spices, then add stock/water so that the pumpkin is just covered.
Simmer on a low/medium heat for 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once pumpkin is soft, whizz with a stick blender or puree by hand with a potato masher. Add salt and pepper to taste.