Barbecue season is well and truly upon us and we've got some great ideas to jazz up your char-grill. The Miso Ginger Marinade is divine on your choice of organic protein such as slabs of tofu, chicken drumsticks or salmon. We've also got the best system for cooking your organic veg to perfection every time and Teva's Showstopper is a great way to use a more economical cut of organic meat without compromising on flavour.
Miso Ginger Marinade
- 2-3 tablespoons urban hippie miso paste
- 4 cloves of organic garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon organic ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon of avocado or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of tamari
- Half to 1 teaspoon of Ceres Sriracha sauce (as you like)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut or raw sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon of water
Mix all the ingredients together and coat your protein of choice up to 12 hours before you fire up the BBQ. Baste as you grill with any remaining sauce.
If the weather is bad, cook under the grill or in a have based frying pan and add 1-2 drops of liquid smoke to the marinade to add the chargrilled taste!
Best BBQ Veg
Choose any of the following, as available
- 1-2 Aubergines, sliced lengthways
- 3-4 capsicums, deseeded and cut in 6ths
- 2-3 zucchini sliced lengthways
- 2-3 Kumara, washed and sliced lengthways, as think as your little finger
- 1 Kamo kamo, cut into quarter length ways
Mix your chosen veg in a bowl with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper, 4 sliced garlic cloves and your choice of herbs – thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil, etc. Gently mix with your hands to ensure all the vegetables are covered.
Heat the BBQ to a medium heat, and add the kumara slices Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, then add the aubergine and kamo kamo. Cook them all for 3-4 minutes on each side, finally adding the zucchini and capsicum.
Continue to cook everything, turning every 3-4 minutes until cooked. About 1 minutes before they’re done, drizzle with balsamic vinegar which will caramelise and sweeten.
Will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Teva's Skirt/Flank Steak Showstopper
- 500g skirt/flank steak
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 table spoons olive oil
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary
- 1-2 red chillies or ¼ teaspoon of chilli flakes (as you like)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, sliced
Season the steak with salt and pepper to taste, and let sit while you make the marinade. Place the all ingredients in a bowl and massage the steak to rub in the flavours. Let sit, for at least an hour but ideally 24, turning frequently.
To cook, heat the BBQ or a have cast iron frying pan very hot (smoking is good), add ½ tablespoon of high heat cooking oil (avocado oil is good). Cook on each side for 2 minutes, then 1 minutes again – six minutes in total (for medium rare).
Place on a wooden chopping board, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. This step is crucial so don’t be tempted to skip it!
Once rested, slice the steak thinly across the grain and serve with BBQ vegetables, rocket, fresh bread and aioli. Yum!