Porridge is so simple to make – simply add half a cup of fine oats with a cup of water and a pinch of salt. Stir over medium heat for a few minutes and voilà! From this basic recipe there is a multitude of ways in which you can elevate humble oats for an awesome breakfast experience.
Here’s some of our top tips:
- Raid the spice rack for ground ginger and cinnamon – both help with flavour and are warming on cold mornings!
- For a creamy texture use half water and milk to cook the oats – we recommend Cocosoul coconut milk.
- Mix in your favourite fruits. Add frozen berries or grated apple one minute before taking off the heat, or straight in the bowl if you need to cool it down quick for the kids!
- For the true Scottish experience add a chunk of butter to the porridge once in the bowl. As it melts it adds a velvety smoothness to the texture
- Top with sliced bananas, yoghurt, cream, or freeze-dried raspberries.
- If you still need a little extra sweetness, try maple syrup, coconut sugar, honey or chopped dates and raisins.
By mixing up these suggestions you can keep this healthy and affordable breakfast interesting until spring!