Our Mocha Fudge Cake contains no less than 7 certified organic, Fair Trade ingredients and is therefore the perfect way to pay tribute to the people, often from developing nations, upon whom we rely so much for our food.
This cake is moist and dense, with a fudgy texture (from bananas!) and has a dominant chocolatey flavour with subtle coffee notes. However, if you would prefer it without the coffee simply leave it out or replace it with a teaspoon of vanilla extract. You can also omit the coffee from the icing too. It will still be amazing!
- 2 C (240g) organic flour
- 1/3 C (30g) organic Fair Trade cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 t organic Fair Trade cinnamon
- 1 1/2 t organic Fair Trade instant coffee powder
- 120g organic Fair Trade dark chocolate, chopped (or chocolate chips)
- 170g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 C organic Fair Trade sugar
- 3 organic, free range eggs
- 3 organic Fair Trade bananas, mashed
- 3/4 C organic Fair Trade coconut milk (or coconut cream)
- 2/3 C organic Fair Trade coconut milk (or coconut cream)
- 200g organic Fair Trade dark chocolate, chopped (or chocolate chips)
- 1/2 t organic instant coffee powder
Preheat oven to 170°C and prepare a 20cm cake tin.
Sift dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and coffee powder) and mix. Add in chocolate. Set aside.
Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
Add mashed bananas and coconut cream. Mix well.
Finally fold in dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Pour into cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake skewer comes out clean (except for any melted chocolate). Cool in tin.
Place chocolate into a heat proof bowl.
Heat the coconut cream in a saucepan until simmering.
Pour hot cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate has melted and ingredients have combined into a thick glossy mixture.
Add coffee powder (if using) and mix well.
Leave to cool (about 15 minutes) and spread onto cooled cake.
Fair Trade is a key commitment at Commonsense. Find out why this is so important to us!