TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) gets a bad rap for being tasteless. But cooked in the right way, it can be used as a great substitute for mince in all dishes (find it with our grains and legumes!).
Here’s our super simple recipe for using it to make a vegan Spaghetti Bolognaise. All ingredients available at Commonsense.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion (diced)
2 garlic cloves (diced)
1 medium/large carrot (grated)
1½ cups TVP
2 cups beef-flavoured stock
2 tins chopped tomato
½ cup red wine
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp chilli powder/flakes
2 bay leaves
Dash balsamic vinegar
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
(Herb and spice quantities can vary according to your personal taste)
½ packet spaghetti
- Add oil, garlic and onion to a large pan over medium heat, sauté for 10mins
- Add the carrot and mix, cook for another 10mins
- While you wait, add the beef stock to the dried TVP and leave aside (for 10mins)
- Now simply add all the rest of the ingredients (including the TVP & stock) except the spaghetti to the pot and bring to a low simmer.
- Leave the pot to simmer for at least an hour. The longer you leave it, the tastier it will be! Stir every 20mins. If it becomes dry, add a cup of water to it and lower the temperature a little.
Serve over cooked spaghetti, topped with your favourite cheese and a sprinkle of parsley!