Thumbprint cookies are a nana classic: tasty biscuits with a neat dollop of jam on top that half candies in the heat of the oven.
This recipe is free of cane sugar (depending on which jam you use, see in store for options), dairy free, vegan and above all easy and delicious. Hooray! It's a great one to get the kids involved with too - what's more fun than dropping jam onto cookies??
- 2 cups nuts (almonds, walnuts etc)
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 t salt
- 1.5 cups spelt flour
- 1 cup sunflower oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup maple syrup or 3/4 cup agave syrup
- Jam for the middle
- Grind nuts and oats in food processor until fine
- Sift together with flour and salt
- Make a well in the centre, and pour in oil and syrup
- Form together into dough
- Roll into balls and thumbprint the centres, filling with your jam of choice
- Bake at 175c for 10-13mins
Play around with flavour combinations of different jams and different nuts to find your perfect sweet treat, and let us know how you go!
Thanks to Molly in our kitchen for the recipe.
Don't forget to sign up for our e-newsletter for specials, new products, articles and more delivered right to your inbox!