This recipe for christmas pudding is a classic in the family home of our founders Jim and Marion. Rich and traditional, this pudding is a real delight.
Get in the christmas spirit with holiday baking
Christmas pudding ingredients:
- 120g flour
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 120ml of ale, stout or milk (beer gives richness rather than beer taste)
- 150g currants
- 150g sultanas
- 300g raisins
- 120g mixed candied peel (optional)
- 60g chopped prunes/dried apricots
- 120g grated cooking apple
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 small grated carrot
- 120g chopped blanched almonds
- 1 level tsp cinnamon
- 1 level tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 120g brown sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup/black treacle
- 120g shredded suet
Christmas pudding method:
- Mix all ingredients together, stir well and leave overnight if possible.
- Place in a heat-safe bowl and cover well with cloth or greaseproof paper. Tie this down with string (not plastic).
- Steam or boil in a large pot with water up part way of the bowl for 6-8 hours.
- Remove and leave to cool.
- Remove wet coverings. When cold put on new dry covers and store in fridge.
- Steam for 2 hours on Christmas Day or zap in microwave for 10 minutes.
Makes 1 pudding, and keeps for at least a couple of weeks before your final pre-serving heating. The occasional splash of liqueur helps it last longer (and taste richer) if you wish.