Coconut Butter is a beautiful thing. It can be toast's best friend, a recipe's star player, or simply a quick and indulgent spoonful from the jar (we promise we won't tell anyone).
Jo (our multi-talented Manager at the Wellington City store) shares her cheap and easy recipe for coconut butter below, and then we give you a few ideas to start using your new favourite food.
Coconut Butter Recipe
- 2 cups of unsweetened, finely desiccated coconut (the end amount will shrink up to 1/3 of the dried amount).
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Put the desiccated coconut in a food processor and blitz for 10–20 mins. You may even have to go for 30 mins depending on your machine. It seems long, but persevere - and don't forget to stop and start the processor to keep its motor healthy!
- If it doesn't seem to be coming together after 15 mins add the coconut oil to get things moving.
That's it! You have coconut butter.
How to Use Coconut Butter
- Dolloped on pancakes or waffles.
- As cake icing, with or without other flavourings.
- In this amazing chocolate and hazelnut fudge which is gluten free, vegan and free of refined sugars(!)
- Blended in a 1:1 ratio with fruit for a soft dessert topping or pudding. Try berries, pineapple, mango or banana.
- In this flour-free bread loaf recipe.
Don't forget to sign up for our e-newsletter for specials, new products, articles and more delivered right to your inbox!