Keen to limit your kids sugar intake this Halloween? Make these spooky treats and see if they will even dare to try them!
- 225g butter, softened
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 organic egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 350g organic white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100g pistachio nuts
- any dark red jam for decorating
- Combine the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and beat.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt then slowly add to the butter mixture while continually beating.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth, cover with reusable food wrap and chill for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Lightly grease baking trays.
- Remove dough from fridge and shape into knobbly fingers with a knuckle. Gently press a pistachio into one end of each biscuit to give the appearance of a long fingernail. You can also cut into the dough with a sharp knife at the knuckles give a finger-like appearance. Arrange the shaped biscuits on the baking trays.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are slightly golden in colour, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then lift the nut from the biscuit and spread a small amount of red jam into the cavity. Replace the nut to cause the jam to ooze out, blood-like, from the fingernail!
- Serve to all that will dare!