The Commonsense Kitchen makes soup for our Wellington region stores - a different variety every weekday!
You may have seen (or smelled or tasted!) this delicious soup in our stores. It's a favourite among staff and customers and we couldn’t resist sharing the recipe with its adoring fans.
Makes 3-4 litres. Eat it all or freeze some for later!
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. cayenne (more or less depending on how strong your cayenne is, and how spicy you like it!)
- 1 tsp. paprika (you can also add smoked paprika for a smoky kick)
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 large kumara, diced
- 1 Bunch of kale or other greens
- 1 cup French green lentils (or other green lentils that you may prefer)
- 1 tin chopped tinned tomato
- 1 tin coconut cream
- Salt to taste
- Sauté Onions in oil until soft, then add Garlic and continue cooking for another couple of minutes.
- Add spices & continue sautéing for 3-5 mins – adding a dash of water here so the spices don't burn.
- Add all of the vegetables and enough water to cover them. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for about an hour until the veggies are soft.
- Add the lentils and cook for a further 30-40 minutes until the lentils are cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and coconut cream and cook for a further 15-20 minutes. Stirring often so it does not burn.
- Season to taste. Serve with some delicious fresh bread from Commonsense and enjoy!